Steps for Applying for Financial Aid
1. Charleston Southern University Admissions Application
Complete the application online.
2. FAFSA – The Free Application for Federal Student Aid
NEW! The 2017/18 FAFSA will be available October 1, 2016. You will use your 2015 Tax Information.
Complete the FAFSA online. CSU's school code is 003419
- Both new and returning students can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by accessing the FAFSA site.
- New applicants must apply for a FAFSA ID and password to sign the FAFSA on-line. To apply for a FAFSA ID visit: https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm.
- If you are a dependent student, one parent (whose information is on the FAFSA) will need a pin number to sign the application electronically also. Your e-mail for the pin number may come back to you from the U.S. Department of Education or from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Charleston Southern is a Military Friendly School and a Yellow Ribbon participant. In order for CSU to accept your Yellow Ribbon application, you must complete a FAFSA each year. Beginning the 2017/18 year, the FAFSA will be available every October 1, 2016. You will use your prior prior year taxes. (Example: for the 2017\18 year you will use your 2105 Tax Information).
- You must complete the FAFSA in order to be considered for federal, state, or institutional financial assistance programs.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien in order to complete the FAFSA. International students do not complete the FAFSA.
- Optional: 2016-2017 FAFSA on the Web Worksheet.
If a student is selected for verification, the Financial Aid Office will request a Verification Worksheet from your family along with additional tax information. Federal aid cannot be paid until the review is complete, so return these forms promptly. Only send verification information if your application was selected for review.
3. Complete the Student Information Release Authorization Form (FERPA)
All students are required to complete the Student Release Authorization Form (FERPA) online. This allows the student to give CSU permission to discuss educational records with parents, spouses, employers or even themselves. Once accepted to CSU, the FERPA can be completed through your MyCSU account. Students must list themselves first on the FERPA, as well as anyone they wish to allow permission to discuss their educational records
4. Complete Financial Aid File (Financial Aid documents)
Once the student has completed the FAFSA and been accepted to CSU, they are able to view their up-to-date financial aid (if awarded), missing documents, special messages, etc…by accessing their Financial Aid LIVE through their MyCSU. It is recommended that students submit all the forms and documents prior to the start of each term to ensure that their financial aid will be in order when the semester starts. The deadline to submit missing documents to the Financial Aid Office is June 30.
- MyCSU - Financial Aid LIVE
- On the top of the CSU home page you will log into MyCSU with your ID Number and CSU Pin Number. Once logged-in you will go to the Financial Aid tab. Click on “View my Financial Aid LIVE” to see live, up-to-date information.
- Missing Documents can be downloaded by visiting the "documents tab" in your Financial Aid LIVE account. If you don't plan on utilizing student loans please complete an Award Update Form.
- View important messages tied to you awards.
- View finanical aid awards divided by semester.
5. Accept and/or Decline Awards
The Financial Aid Office awards on a first-come, first-serve basis. Once the student is awarded they will receive a Financial Aid Award Letter by mail. Any changes to the award letter will be sent by email to student’s CSU BUC Mail. Financial Aid will refer students to their Financial Aid LIVE to view the award changes. Additional forms may be requested if needed to confirm financial aid awards. Please read all correspondence carefully and respond to each request in a timely manner.