Call Us Email Us


Financial Aid FAQs (graduate students) 

1. How do I apply for financial aid?

In order to qualify for financial aid at CSU, all students must first be regularly accepted to the university and be registered for classes. Then, to determine the amount you are eligible and to apply for financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Finally, we will create a financial aid package for you and send you an award letter detailing all of your financial aid for the academic year. The aid in this package will be based on financial need. If you receive the letter and would like to change the amount of funds you receive, then contact the graduate financial aid counselor by clicking here.

2. How much am I eligible for as a graduate student?

Your eligibility is determined based on your financial need. The maximum amount you will be eligible for any academic year is $20,500.

3. Do I have to renew my financial aid every year?

Yes, you have to renew your financial aid each year. There is not a deadline, but you need to have the renewal FAFSA completed as soon as you file your taxes.

4. What financial aid year is it?

The financial aid year runs from July 1 to June 30.

5. How can I defer my loans?

You may be able to defer your undergraduate student loans while you are enrolled in CSU’s graduate programs. In order to find out more about this you need to contact your undergraduate student loan lender. They will be able to provide you with a document for deferment. This document may be signed by CSU’s registrar’s office only after the drop/add date. The registrar’s office is the only office eligible to sign this deferment form.

6. Do I have to be a full-time graduate student to be eligible and maintain financial aid?

No, you do not have to be a full-time graduate student to be eligible for financial aid. You must be enrolled in at least one course during the term you wish to receive financial aid. You also must remain in good standing as identified in the graduate catalog.

7. When are refunds issued?

The CSU catalog specifies which charges, fees and deposits are refundable and procedures necessary to obtain refunds. A student who has a credit on his/her account must sign up for e-refunds through his or her MyCSU account. The refund deposits directly into the bank account of the student’s choosing. The refund will be issued within 15 working days from the time the finalized credit balance is created in a student account.  Please note that leading up to the drop/add period of each semester, the aid on the account is preliminary and is not finalized.  Once the aid is finalized is when the 15 days can start to be calculated.

8. Can I change my loan amount?

Yes, you may change your loan amount. Feel free to contact your graduate enrollment counselor in order to change the amount you wish to receive. You will then receive an adjusted award letter with the amount you requested.

9. Do you offer any funding or payment methods other than loans?

Charleston Southern University accepts outside scholarships, loans, tuition reimbursement, tuition assistance, VA funding and payment plans.  To set up financial aid, outside scholarships or outside loans, contact financial aid at 843-863-7050.  To set up tuition reimbursement, tuition assistance and payment plans, please contact the Business Office at 843-863-8058.

To find out more information regarding determining financial need, verification selection, where to pay your bill, or more information on outside scholarships click here.