Thank you for your interest in Charleston Southern University and our Health Promotion program. Our field is rapidly growing as the unfortunate decline in the health status of our nation yields a pivotal and exciting time to get involved in a field that specializes in preventative care and community outreach, aiming to improve the health and well-being, and quality of life among individuals, groups, and communities.
Our Health Promotion major is an ideal major, enabling you to focus your undergraduate studies on:
- Gaining knowledge and skills to assess community health needs
- Planning, implementing, managing, and evaluating health promotion strategies that proactively address community health challenges, prevent illness and disease, and increase quality of life across the community
- Educating individuals and communities on practicing and adopting healthy behaviors
- Advocating for change that fosters positive change among individuals, groups and environments
- Serving as an influential professional to restore, maintain and enhance the health of all
The Health Promotion major at Charleston Southern University prepares you to be eligible and highly equipped to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam offered by the National Commission of Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC). This national exam is a highly recognized certification that proves your skills as a health education specialist, helps employers identify qualified health education specialists, and promotes continuing education throughout a health educator’s career. Please visit our CHES Certification page for more information about the CHES exam.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Promotion program promotes a vibrant and friendly academic environment that fosters your personal and professional development and is designed to meet national standards, ensuring for you to receive quality professional preparation as a future health education specialist. Our program is committed to and encourages hands-on experience, including shadowships, volunteer opportunities, and internships throughout the student’s progression in the program, providing a great opportunity for students to gain hands-on experience and apply what they have learned in class to a practical setting and engage in networking opportunities with future potential employers.