CSU Voice Students Earn Most Wins at S.C. Singing Competition
Charleston Southern University students won four categories, the most winners of any school in the state, at the South Carolina National Association of Teachers of Singing student auditions in Columbia March 14. Winners advance to the Mid-Atlantic Region NATS competition in North Carolina in April.
CSU winners are:
- Aaron Hines, Junior/Senior Music Theater College Men; student of Dr. Jennifer Luiken
- Taryn Wetherington, College Sophomore Women (Classical); student of Dr. Jill Terhaar Lewis
- Lauryn Kay, College Junior Women (Classical) and Junior/Senior Music Theater College Women; student of Luiken
Four additional CSU students earned scores high enough to qualify for the regional competition:
- Corinna Haughton, Junior/Senior Music Theater College Women; student of Mr. Ricard Bordas
- Emily Reeves, College Junior Women; student of Bordas
- Molly Abbott, College Senior Women; student of Luiken
- David Nagelkirk, College Sophomore Men; student of Lewis
“I am so pleased that our CSU students fared so well at these auditions,” said Lewis. “It is evidence of our strong vocal program at CSU.” Lewis is vice president of the S.C. Chapter of NATS and was audition coordinator. A total of 451 students applied to compete.
Sixteen CSU students were selected to compete. Top-scorers in each category performed a recital at the end of the competition. The Mid-Atlantic Region includes South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C.